Le Chèvrefeuille Restaurant and Cookery School Dordogne offer one day regional Cookery Courses
The Périgord Noir is renowned as the gastronomic capital of France. Farmers markets brim with delectable produce such as foie gras, truffles, confits, cheeses, preserves, nuts and spices – making it a little too easy to fill even the biggest of baskets.
But, what to do with all that lovely produce once you have filled your basket?
Cue Ian Fisk, Chef and owner of Le Chèvrefeuille Restaurant and Cookery School right in the heart of the Périgord Noir.
Ian offers one-day French cookery courses, in English, within a traditional Périgordian farmstead turned exquisite bed and breakfast / restaurant and cookery school setting.
This unique one-day cookery course kicks off with a chef-led visit to a traditional French farmers market. Within this colourful, bustling market participants get to sample local produce, meet and participate in informative discussions with local farmers and learn how to choose the best seasonal ingredients with which to devise a traditional five-course French menu replete with dishes which will inspire even the toughest to please tastebuds.
After the market tour it’s straight back to the kitchen at Le Chèvrefeuille where participants learn to prepare and cook a variety of exquisite dishes, such as:
- Pan seared foie gras with warm figs and toasted ginger cake
- Cauliflower velouté with grated black truffle and crouton
- Pan cooked Magret de Canard with apple and sage
- Olive tapenade with warm breads
- Confit de canard served on seasonal vegetables with a chestnut and cèpe velouté
- Warm Cabécou tartlet with blueberry salsa and toasted walnuts
- Crème brûlée
- Warm chocolate fondant with strawberry and basil coulis
A typical Le Chèvrefeuille one-day Cookery Course is as follows:
- Meet and greet other participants and coffee
- Local famers market visit
- Tuition, demonstration of and participation in preparing produce for cooking
- Tuition, demonstration of and participation in cooking and French cooking methods
- Tuition, demonstration of and participation in food styling
- Five course degustation
- Wine with each course
- Tea and coffee
Groups are limited to six ensuring all participants the opportunity to hear, see and experience authentic French cooking first hand.
Bookings for this unique experience are currently being taken. Individuals and groups are advised to book well in advance to avoid disappointment as the season fills quickly.
For further information and photos contact:
Ian and Sara Fisk
Tel: + 33 55 359 4797
- Le Chevrefeuille Cookery School and Restaurant is set within the beautiful grounds of Le Chevrefeuille Bed and Breakfast a delightful ancient farmstead centrally located to the tourism highlights of the Dordogne, 25 minutes west of Sarlat-la-Canéda and seven minutes south of Les-Eyzies.
- Le Chèvrefeuille Cookery School and Restaurant runs from April to October. One-day cookery courses cost 150Euros per person and run from 9am – 5pm. The fee includes market tour, transport to and from market, use of kitchen facilities and equipment, ingredients for a five-course meal, wine, tea and coffee and an e-booklet of recipes.
- Le Chèvrefeuille can arrange season-dependant tours to local truffle, asparagus, strawberry and snail farms, informative visits to goat’s cheese and foie gras producers, as well as visits to local wine merchants and beer breweries.
- Bookings are currently being taken. Interested parties, especially groups, are advised to book well in advance to avoid disappointment as the season fills quickly.
- Groups are welcome! Le Chèvrefeuille offers award winning B&B and self-catering accommodation for singles, couples and families.
- Le Chèvrefeuille is located within an ancient Périgordian farmstead in the traditional Périgordian “hameau” (hamlet) of Pechboutier. As such, a car is necessary. (GPS: Latitude 44.9012, Longitude 1.0415)
- Closest airports: When driving, Le Chèvrefeuille is 55 minutes from Bergerac airport, 1:15hrs from Brive airport and 2:30hrs from Bordeaux. Nearest train station with services running from Paris, Bergerac and Bordeaux: Les Eyzies. Car hire is available at all airports and major towns